[Dixielandjazz] Re: Simultaneous Appearances - Was Riverboat Schedule

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 11 07:05:47 PDT 2003

on 7/11/03 1:50 AM, Jazzjerry at aol.com at Jazzjerry at aol.com wrote:

> If I book the 'Dukes of Dixieland' or 'Barbone Street' I want to hear the
> distinct sound of those organisations and the jazz skills of the proper
> members
> not a collection of deps copying the sound and repertoire. When I go to see
> Barbone Street I want to see Steve Barbone and not someone trying to sound
> like
> him - if that is possible! If the persons running these organisations think
> they can do this then in my mind they are shortchanging the public.

I see your point, but most clients are not like you; mostly they know what
SORT of band they want, and if they get it then they are satisfied.   As
long as we are honest up front that there are several bands and as long as
the client agrees, I don't see any problem.   Here in Chicago busy bands
like the Banjo Buddies have long done this.   I have when I'm that lucky!

Charlie