[Dixielandjazz] Multiple bands under one name - was Riverboat Natchez' Schedule

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Fri Jul 11 10:04:55 PDT 2003

Another aspect is the distinctive style of a band, its "Sound"  Big bands
such as the Miller band get it mainly from the charts.  Jazz bands, if they
have an identifiable sound (I think they should if they are a good band) get
it from the individuals in the band.  The Black Eagles is a good example.
Tony Pringle's playing is wonderfully distinctive and I feel that if he is
not appearing with the band, then it is no longer the Black Eagles.  It may
be a good, even very good jazz band but it just is not the Black Eagles
without Tony.  Don't get me wrong, when any of them are replaced with a sub,
it is noticeable but it does not change the character of the band as much as
Tony's absence.

Ron L