[Dixielandjazz] New to group

Andy Cooper andy_cooper at chatter.com
Fri Jul 11 08:23:39 PDT 2003

Hi all - I have been enjoying reading the Dixieland digest for a week or
so, and finally have gotten up the nerve to post a message.

I enjoyed the slide show that Dick Broadie posted to view via oFoto.
Registering was a snap, and I felt like watching history.

Speaking of historical players. I am saddened to tell you folks that
"Peanuts" Hucko has passed away. He lived in Denton, Texas (where I live).
I never got to hear him play, but looked around on the Internet and found
that he played with some great bands, including Glen Miller, Benny
Goodman, and even was with the Lawrence Welk show for a while. I figured
that this was a good place to post this information, as many of you folks
may have known him. His wife still lives here in Denton. She used to be
Harry James' wife, I was told.

I have been mostly a legit clarinet player, and studied music at the
Univeristy of North Texas. I got interested in dixieland jazz and recently
have joined up with a local group that is called The Old Time Jazzers. I
am enjoying learning this new style of play, and have been listening to
old recordings of Dodds, Artie Shaw, and others. I'd love to hear
something from "Peanuts" but have not found anything yet.

--- From the desk of --- Andrew R. Cooper