[Dixielandjazz] Re: Simultaneous Appearances - Was Riverboat Schedule

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 20:46:12 PDT 2003

> Bobolink7736 at aol.com  (Bob Lynn, Polite snip)
> Re: [Dixielandjazz] Riverboat Natchez' Schedule

> I have noticed that several groups appear simultaneously in different locales.

Yes, Barbone Street does it frequently. Last Mardi Gras we had 4 different six piece Dixieland bands working under the name "Barbone Street". Usually at least 3 at every Mardi Gras for the past 6 years.

I am always careful to put on my schedule that fans should call me for personnel in each band version. This past Mardi Gras, Tex Wyndham's Red Lions appeared at one venue under my name (with a clarinet sub for me), members of Independence Hall JB appeared at another venue
under my name, and the Big Easy Dixieland Band was at another venue under my name.

As long as each band is good, there is no problem and each band was very good.

Similarly, Independence Hall appears in different locales with different musicians. Same for Igor, same for many, if not most traveling bands. Buddy Rich did it, Billy Maxted did it, Eddie Condon did it, Phil Napoleon did it, Maynard Ferguson does it, Preservation Hall does
it. etc., etc., etc. So you never know who you are going to see in a particular band most of the time anyway, other than the leader.

We have multiple bands working at the same time about 10 times a year. We differentiate by letting the venue know (when I am there) that this is the "A" band. Not because I'm a great clarinet player, but because that version is the one most often seen and as the band principal
some venues specify that they want me, warts and all.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone