[Dixielandjazz] Food in New Orleans

Texasjazzlover rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Thu Jul 10 18:47:10 PDT 2003

Sorry if food is an "off-list" topic, but it IS necessary since "man cannot
live on jazz alone"!

We usually walk everywhere in New Orleans.  Parking is difficult.  Therefore
we try to find GOOD places within the French Quarter.  Here are some I would
recommend going to.  Mind you, Jim and I are pretty much "cheap skates" and
don't go for the expensive places.  We will allow for at least one night to
splurge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quarter Scene
Daumaine and Dauphine
Their comment:
The dinner atmosphere is cozy and candle lit, the service is pure southern
hospitality, and the food is the closest thing to homemade Louisiana you'll
find outside of the Bayou.
One block from the rowdy crowds of Bourbon Street, on the corner.

My comment:  Their food is reasonably priced and is very good.  This place
offers peace and quite, nothing fancy.  If you order their bread pudding,
make sure you have someone with which to share!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Star Steak House
About 200 block of Decatur

We have NEVER had a bad experience at this place.  I have made it my
personal goal to find the BEST bread pudding and I highly recommend theirs
(as well as that Creole Steak stuffed with crab and shrimp!) YUM!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Muffalettas I prefer are at the shop just to the west of Central Market
on Decatur.  I know Central Market has a fine reputation, but the one that
is located  a few doors down to the West, (where Progressive Market was), it
the best in MHO.  No bread pudding here, but there are pralines!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Ribs
Royal Cafe
About St. Ann and Royal

VERY good ribs.  Prices are moderate.

For anyone going to the SatchmoFest, there are food booths set up on the
grounds at the Mint.

All reasonably priced and a chance to sample a wide range of southern food!

Jazz Content:
"Give me a pigfoot!" "with shifafa on the side!"

Rebecca (three more weeks until..) Thompson
Flower Mound, TX