[Dixielandjazz] Carnegie Hall 1938 Goodman

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Thu Jul 10 15:00:49 PDT 2003

Some little known info about the '38 Carnegie Hall Concert:

Albert Marx paid for the recording session and made all the arrangements
with no participation on the part of BG.  Sometime after the concert was
over, Benny asked Albert if he could "borrow" a copy of the Carnegie
concert.  The tapes Benny's daughter, Rachel, found in the closet in 1950
were the copies Albert had sent him.  Goodman made tons of money from this
concert and he never paid Albert a penny for the recording rights and
deinied any knowlege of Albert's contribution when confronted on the issue.
Obviously had Albert received his share of royalties, it could have cost
Goodman a bundle.

After Albert moved to LA from Palm Springs, he had me search his former home
in hopes that his "lost" master tapes could be found.  I had no luck in
locating them.

Albert never received the credit due him.  Were it not for him, the
recording would never have been made.  He eventually was given a Grammy for
his contribution  from someone BG acknowledged as being responsible for the
recording but refused to keep the Grammy because he didn't feel he rightly
disserved it..  I can't remember the exact story, but Albert showed me the
Grammy in his LA home and stated that, until the lost masters could be
located, this was his best proof of his claims.

The master tapes were eventually located in one of Albert's "vaults" shortly
after his death and were used in a reissue of the whole concert, including
one song that had never been included in the original due to extremely poor
audio problems.  Guess that's proof that Albert's claims were valid,.  I've
heard both the master and the BG closet versions and can't say I heard many
significant differences between the master and Goodman's copy.  Of course
the "clean" missing song is an indication that Marx really did have the
first eneration masters.

I had the pleasure of reuniting Albert with Jess Stacey around 1989 at a
convention.  It was the first time they'd seen each other since the '39
concert.  Turns out my deed wasn't all that impressive.  They were both
scheduled to speak on the same panel later that day.  Still it was fun to be
there and witness the actual reunion along with my wife Sharon.  We were the
only other people in the room to witness a long overdue hug between them.
Keep in mind that that recording really put Jess on the map.  And it was
that recording that hooked me on jazz when I was very young.

Enough ramblings for today.

Hope you enjoyed them.

   Dick  B