[Dixielandjazz] Carnegie Hall 1938 Goodman

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Jul 10 12:33:26 PDT 2003

Steve;

The story of the BG's Carnegie Hall concert was covered in Ross Firestone's
book "Swing, Swing, Swing". He states that the idea came from publicist Wynn
Nathanson. Benny had to be convinced by Nathanson. When that was done,
Nathanson convinced Sol Hurok to be the producer. It was he who rented
Carnegie Hall for Sunday January 16, 1938 - the night after Benny finished a
3 month stand at the Pennsylvania Hotel.

The recording was produced by Albert Marx as a special gift for his wife,
Helen Ward and a second set for Benny. He contracted Artists Recording
Studio to make 2 sets. Artists Recording only had 2 turntables so they
farmed out the second set to Raymond Scott's recording studio.

Microphones had been setup in Carnegie for their normal broadcast over
Columbia's radio network via a broadcast quality phone line. This particular
feed was sent to Artists Recording Studio and Raymond Scott's studio.

It was Benny's sister-in-law who found the recordings in Benny's apartment
and brought them to Benny's attention.

The rest is history.

Stan
Stan Brager