[Dixielandjazz] BG & "Georgia On My Mind"

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Thu Jul 10 18:23:44 PDT 2003

> ....... somewhere in the partly packed away depths of my collection I have
> a tape of a BG small group playing Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse" with Benny
> on tenor and, IIRC, Vido Musso on clarinet and Harry James on drums.

Drool

> Also have the original (Capitol ?) 78s of a 'band of band leaders' all
> playing instruments with which they're not normally associated .... with
> Peggy Lee on drums. Issued as "Ten Cats and a Chick" or similar. Exact
> details escape me at the moment and without digging deep.

>From 14 October 1947, "Ten Cats and a Mouse" with Dave Barbour, tpt; Billy
May, Bobby Sherwood, tbn; Paul Weston, clt; Eddie Miller, alto; Benny
Carter, tnr; Dave Cavanaugh, brtn; Red Norvo, pno; Hal Derwin, gtr; Frank
Devol, bass; Peggy Lee, dms; recoorded "Ja-Da" and "Three O'Clock Jump". The
recording was done in Los Angeles.
I have it on Jazz Unlimited CD JUCD 2044 titled "The Hollywood Sessions: The
Capitol Jazzmen".

Phil O'Rourke
Australia