[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Festivals

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 13:17:19 PDT 2003

Snippet:
"Benny Goodman's concert at Carnegie which  included some very fine
musicians other than his band."

Tom's reference to Carnegie Hall brings to mind a situation I was presented
with some years ago (probably around 1987) and I am wondering if any
listmates have ever heard of this or if it is just apocryphal.  The on- air
entertainment personality for KOA-TV here in Denver called and asked if I
could give him advice on something.  He said he had met a man who had
retired to Denver and for many years he had been the sound man for Carnegie
Hall.  This fellow said that they had always run a microphone out of the
ceiling above the stage and recorded all of the concerts there.  This had
been going on for years and he had still had all of the discs that had
accumulated from this bootleg situation.  He had no use for them and was
asking my KOA friend if he knew of anyone who might be interested in having
them.  Norvell (my KOA friend) called me and asked if I knew of anyone who
might want them.  I made a couple of contacts but got nothing back in the
way of a positive response.
This brings me to two questions:
1. Is this story true?
2. Does anyone have an interest in these    recordings if they were
available?
According to the sound man this had been going on from the late 30's up to
the time he retired which I would guess was in the 80's.
I am not sure I could locate the fellow because all Norvell told me was that
he lived in Littleton but if there were interest I would make an attempt to
see if I could find him.
If anyone has thoughts on this situation let me know.
Best,
Bill