[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Studies

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 00:11:28 PDT 2003

Dear Vashti:

Yes, of course, circa 1929. The young man mentions Armstrong because of
the way I introduced the tune. I briefly mentioned that is was from "Hot
Chocolates" circa 1930, and that it was a vocal and that Louis made it
famous first instrumentally in the orchestra pit, and then on record.
Then gave a very brief explanation of how the song became owned by
Louis, and how he changed the perception of the tune from black on black
prejudice to white on black prejudice via his own vocal.