[Dixielandjazz] Does fun and joy belong on this list or is it "off topic?"

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Tue Jul 8 23:17:27 PDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 18:52:09 -0700 "Richard Broadie"
<richard.broadie at gte.net> writes:
> I'm on the djml to have fun.  I love interesting information that can
> be
> attained through this medium.  Etc...

Them's my sentiments, exactly. Like many others, I have been on this list
long enough to have met founding father Peter Lovric. This subject, the
proper serious:humor ratio (humour, for our Brit friends) comes up from
time to time. Come to think of it, almost every subject seems to have a
repeat cycle.

Being a washboard player, I would much rather read about ducks than the
proper viscosity of slide oil. Talk about boring!! (Now thimble lube -
there's something interesting.) Anyway, many moons ago, Bill Gunter wrote
a response to this subject in which he likened, in his inimitable
fashion, the ebb and flow of this list to a cocktail party conversation.
People join and leave groups, and the conversation moves from the sublime
to the sublemon and back again. When there are threads one is not
interested in, one has merely to hit the delete button. There were times
a while back, when you (as a group) were talking (incessantly) about
chord structure, or some such arcania, when I was deleting almost every
post.

But I won't leave, because I have learned immense amounts of stuff here,
and I have met some wonderful people, and corresponded with some
wonderful people that I haven't met but hope to some day.

As in many walks of life, we all need a little more patience and
tolerance. Soon enough, we'll be back to whether a duck call sounds
better in A-sharp or B-flat.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz