[Dixielandjazz] bio- lurker

Alana Shapazian intern at montereyjazzfestival.org
Mon Jul 7 12:41:08 PDT 2003

     I have been lurking on this board for almost two years, and as many do, I also use it as a source of information. I am a sponge for jazz history. I grew up in California, but I go to school in the North East. I am a musician/ arranger and avid promoter of OKOM. My interests include a wide spectrum of music and musicians, from Jelly Roll to Quincy Jones and beyond. I enjoy arranging small group to Big Band, but my roots are traditional and it shows in my writing. My job as a young musician is to make sure that this art form always thrives. But as a young musician, it is sometimes quite difficult to get my voice heard. I love and respect the fans of this music, but I don't always feel the respect and encouragement in return.
(FRUSTRATED YOUNG MUSICIAN VENTING BELOW, IF UNINTERESTED PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO CLOSING REMARKS)

It is unfortunate that I have spent most of my message board career as a middle-aged man named Harold, but if that is what it takes for a respectable response. so be it. A lot of boys and girls my age get stuck in this "young musician" rut. After their youth band careers fizzle and before they are old enough to be respected by their elders. It is tough time for 17-24 year olds. All sorts of life changing experiences and decisions to be made. As many of you may remember it was tough, and quite an emotional time. For those very few (and the numbers are dwindling) that make it through the "rut" and go on to not resent and still enjoy OKOM, I give great thanks.

With many young folks listening to loud booming music (and I use the term "music" loosely) I suppose it would be hard for the jazz fans to feel comfortable with us. But wouldn't it be nice, if generation after generation this American art form can be enjoyed as it is today? I know it will be tough (and some folks have already taken responsibility) but I think OKOM survival is in the hands of the fans and musicians of today. It is up to you to ensure the proper encouragement to the young musicians. Even though he may have blue hair, or she listens to rap music, doesn't mean they are dismissible. When you all were young, did you do or wear something that was disagreeable to society or public opinion? For those of you who can look beyond the surface of young folks, please continue your support.

CLOSING REMARKS:

Through the various Dixieland and Trad Jazz Societies throughout the world you can support by donation and through volunteering efforts. Most of these organizations support youth bands and award scholarship money in order for them to attend jazz camps and clinics. Most of my fondest memories playing in youth bands was attending these camps, and making bonds with other musicians my age. I learned a lot from the clinicians and instructors, and came to realize that what I was experiencing was unique and special. I also believe that efforts need to be extended beyond the Jazz Societies. As some may have heard in the recent news, many arts programs in public schools are disappearing. Yes, our economy has fallen on rough times, but help comes in forms other than money. The arts are imperative to the education of young people. It is said that students that play music at an early age are more successful adults. I remember as a junior high school student I enjoyed seeing a Dixieland band perform for our school. It looked like so much fun, but as an average clarinetist I would have never thought that I would make this my life's work.

I would personally like to thank the folks at the Basin Street Regulars in Pismo Beach, California, for their support of young musicians. They had sent me to jazz camp a couple years back and I am greatful for their support. My experiences there encouraged me to pursue a career in music and drive to not give up.

Best wishes to the preservation,

Hopeful and Persistant