[Dixielandjazz] fooled 'em!

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sun Jul 6 01:18:53 PDT 2003

Just back from a nice concert!  This was the second one in a row....last
nite & tonite, in small, outlying towns near Madrid.  .......put on by
local City Councils.

Last nite was, sadly, indoors.  A grand mistake when the local crowds
are swarming around outdoor venues for drinks.  Still, it was pleasant
enough for the 50 or so who came indoors to keep out of the heat (90º at
nite!).

Tonite was in a town square.  City Hall put tables & chairs out, and
sold drinks.  Several hundred folks sitting around enjoyed themselves,
as did we.

During Pepe's (our trumpeter) solo rendition of Georgia On My Mind, the
City Hall clock struck 10 times....in the WRONG key, and the WRONG
tempo!  Our pianist thought his electric keyboard was putting out
strange notes!!  A real laugh.

I fooled the band, as they had requested earlier ..."please, please,
can't we end with something other than Tiger Rag?"....in which I do a
good rendition of Bob Haven's trick of taking off my shoe & sock (the
sock goes over the trumpeter's horn with a fling of my wrist!), and
playing with my foot hooked onto the slide of the trombone.

I say I fooled 'em 'cause they now are aware of the fact that I can do
the same trick on I Found A New Baby....which is infinitely more
difficult as it requires playing in F rather than in Eb....meaning you
have to bring the leg up to first position on the slide more often than
in Eb.
Good thing I go to the gym everyday!!

Jim (there's no way you gonna keep a good horn down) Kash     :>