[Dixielandjazz] My bios

Hans Koert koerthchkz at zeelandnet.nl
Sat Jul 5 21:20:03 PDT 2003

Hans Koert - Teacher (primary school)  - discographer - jazz record
collector (CD) - Hit of the week (78rpm-LP-CD). - Born in 1951 in the
Netherlands I first came in contact with jazz at school concerts (Dutch
Swing College Band and the Pim Jacobs Trio). As a child I got music lessons
at the piano, but I didn't came much further then a few bouncing boogie
woogies. When I was a teenager I visited the Nieuwe Muziek concerts (modern
and free jazz) in Middelburg and the Oude Stijl Jazz Festival at Breda
(Dixieland - Traditional jazz). I became a member of the Doctor Jazz
Magazine and visited the annual meetings, reunies, in Boskoop, later in
Wageningen where all kinds of "traditional jazz" collectors joined. Later I
joined the International Association of Jazz Record Collectors (IAJRC).
Together with a friend I started to collect jazz-on-tape and we tried to
build a Fats Waller collection on LP and a real discography. Later I started
to collect to curious Hit of the week card board records and when I learned
that there was no complete discography (I got the 1960s Waters list (with
175 items) as a Xerox copy from a nice collector from the US) and so I
started to make my own. Now this discography contains three parts with more
then 1300 (!!?) US card board (hit of the week-Durium) records, hundreds of
European durium records (from England, Scandinavia, France, Italy and
Holland) and numerous card board advertisement and custom records from the
US and Europe. listed. Thanks to this reference book several Hit of the week
CDs were released in the US, The Netherlands and Japan. Now I'm working on
the "rediscovery" of Oscar Aleman, an Argentinean jazz guitar player. Around
1970 I heard him playing on a 78rpm recording and since that date I have
been searching for all information and records from him, but, unfortunally,
Aleman never left Argentina and so did his music and records. I started to
make a discography,  the "Oscar Aleman Tune-O-Graphy - Listado de temas"
and, together with my friend Theo van de Graaff, who visited Aleman in
Buenos Aires in the 1980, I made an extensive website about Oscar Aleman
hoping that it will help to help jazz fans to "rediscover" his music. Now I
also have an extensive collection of records of Aleman on CD.  Nowadays I
love all kinds of jazz styles between the ODJB and the music of the Young
Lions, like Roy Hargrove, a fabulous trumpet player I've seen very often in
my "house" club in Terneuzen, Porgy en Bess. This club makes it possible for
me to enjoy the music and the musicians that play hard bop and modern jazz
live in the remote South-West part of the Netherlands. Next week I'm anxious
to visit the annual North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague.

Well, I think this is enough for now - If you love to learn more about me
visit my websites (see below at my autograph) and learn all about my other
sides.

On my turntable now: Oscar Aleman

Keep swinging

Hans Koert