[Dixielandjazz] really short bio

kymmichelle coneyislandgirl at softcom.net
Fri Jul 4 15:33:15 PDT 2003

It's been fun reading everyone's bios.  I was told to post mine up, no
matter how short it is, so here goes (though few of you know who I am but
maybe that's the point?).

I started on jazz early- born in Sacramento, I had my first jazz festival
when my mother was seven months pregnant with me.  Must have liked it,
because I've been back to the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee about every year
since.
When I was really small, my piano playing mother attempted to start me in
piano.  That failed because I was a horrible reader and would always play by
ear, and she was the opposite and a firm believer in reading not hearing,
thus refused to continue lessons unless I "shaped up".  Of course I jumped
on the opportunity to abandon piano.

When I was 12, I picked up Mom's old clarinet and started taking
professional lessons from yet another firm believer in reading not hearing.
For the next two years, I played church concerts with my older brother who
played alto, tenor, and baritone sax.  After an unfortunate orthodontist
procedure that lasted the course of my clarinet career, I was deteriorating
the ability to play the clarinet, so I shelved it.  One month later, I
started taking piano lessons from the fabulous and wonderful Bonnie Otto.

Being jazz, reading music wasn't required (yes yes it does HELP, but it's
not REQUIRED).  I received a Norma Teagarden scholarship from the Sacramento
Jazz Foundation, and dove deep into theory and improvisation.  Under such
great tutelage, I was striding (no pun intended) the piano in a couple
months and started attending about a festival each month, and selling CDs
for the circuit band Titan Hot 7.  In February at the Oregon Dixieland
Jubilee I played with Titans, my first time playing with a band and
performing on piano.  I was hooked- during the next year I practiced several
hours a day to obtain my goal.  I also worked with Sacramento vocalist Molly
Ryan, which was great fun and a wonderful experience; we played at the LA
Sweet n Hot festival.  I also met another young musician, Dave Bennett, the
clarinet player for New Reformation.  Being so close to age and interested
in the same music, we've hit it off well.  A year later in Seaside, I played
with Titan Hot 7 again, this time more aware of what was musically
happening.  I've played with them two more times, and was honored to receive
the Norma Teagarden scholarship again.

Right now, I'm working hard with Bonnie, preparing for the Mammoth Jubilee.
Who knows what will happen in the future?!
~kymmi~
Jazz Pianist Wannabe