[Dixielandjazz] An intro I use - controversial intros

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 2 14:38:24 PDT 2003

on 7/2/03 11:51 AM, JBruno868 at aol.com at JBruno868 at aol.com wrote:

> I may not be a bra burning "Libber"
> but the movement has done some wonderful things for us women

Of course it has.  Just read in the paper day before yesterday results of a
poll among men of the question, "If you could go back in time and extinguish
the women's movement, would you do so?"  Something like 85% of us said we
would not.  I was one of those.  Of course the women's movement has been a
benefit to us all!

But my point was about a sense of humor.  I was saying, in a parody of
professorial lecture phrasing, that a sense of humor was something "of which
they have displayed little evidence thus far."   And damned if you
ladies--ah! ah!--women are not proving my point!  Please! I was not
attacking the women's movement!  I was pushing their humor button; and once
again they didn't have one!

The lyrics to "Hard Hearted Hannah" are perfect to describe Steinem.  I also
introduce  "Frankie and Johnnie" as "the world's first Women's Liberation
song!"  Like, he was out there doin her wrong, and "she filled up his head/
with red hot 44 lead/ An his soul went marchin' on..." (Fats' version).  Is
that an anti-feminine intro?  Women seem amused by it, but maybe I'm blind.

When the the women's movement stops being instantly defensive and develops
even a tiny sense of humor about itself, it will seem more reasonable to
everyone, not just to feminazis.

MUSICAL CONTENT: "Hard Hearted Hannah" and "Frankie and Johnnie"

Charlie