[Dixielandjazz] John Best

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Wed Jul 2 09:23:31 PDT 2003

I waited to see if anyone had current info on John Best.

The last I heard, John was still alive & living in the San Diego area.

Don't know if he is playing.

Some years ago he fell out of an avacoto tree on his property, broke his
back & was not discovered for a couple of days.  He is now in a wheelchair
as a result of the fall.

Maybe 10 or 15 years ago he was asked to play in a big band for PBS, I think
maybe a big band salute or a Glenn Miller salute.  He declined, or maybe was
not hired, (my recollections are a bit fuzzy) because the director wanted
the soloist to stand up during their solos & of course he could not do so.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band