[Dixielandjazz] Re: [Sextet from Hunger]

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Jul 2 09:38:30 PDT 2003

George Thow was a wonderful player...and setan endurance record for his
playing on the orginal Doresy Bros. recording of "Weary Blues." The non-stop
chorus of  lip-flexibility put most of us young and upcoming cornet pickers
in shock and awe.
Thow later went on to work as a producer for the Lawrence Welk TV show,
mostly behind the scenes. Bob Havens, if he is lurking, can fill us in on
that period.
George had a big, sweet, pure cornet sound, and liking it to Bix is not far
off. I think that Andy Secrest came closer, but for pure, rich cornet sound,
George was hard to beat.
He worked with a small group for awhile in the 1950's at the Beverly Caverns
in LA. Can't remember the leader, but on the night I caught them, he was in
solid form and it was a pleasure to sit and listen as a grown up who had
about worn out the Dorsey record when a very early teen-ager.
Thank for mentioning this fine cornetist. A pleasant reminder abotu a very
good player.
Don Ingle