[Dixielandjazz] RIP Trombone Player Bill James, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

willc willc at nova.edu
Wed Jul 2 02:41:49 PDT 2003

It is with great sadness that I report the death of Bill James, who was
a trombone player but who, far more importantly, was one of the really
good guys. Bill's heart failed him at home with wife Kay on Sunday
evening.

Bill was elected to the first Hot Jazz and Alligator Gumbo Society Board
of Trustee in Fort Lauderdale, and served with Billy Butterfield and
listmates Lori Lea, Harry Epp and me on that body.

A visitation will be held for Bill at the Kraeer Funeral Home, 217 East
Hillsboro Boulevard, Deerfield Beach, Florida from 6:00 to 8:00 PM
Wednesday, July 2 (tonight). The jazz will be provided by his friends,
cornetist Hal Donovan, trombonist Armand Paradise, clarinetist Pete
Theodore, Harry Epp at piano, Vic Andrews on drums and Ray Carle on b
ass. Lori Lea will sing. All are welcome

He will be buried at 11 AM Thursday at Fort Lauderdale Cemetery on
Andrews Avenue.

Anyone wishing to send condolences may do so to Mrs. Kay James, 230
Federal Highway, #105, Deerfield Beach, FL 33441.

As Bill Bacin would have said, "Good night, Bill".

Will Connelly
River Liffey Saloon Jazz Band
Fort Lauderdale, Florida