[Dixielandjazz] Path of discovery

Ken Gates keng at iswest.com
Tue Jul 1 19:51:06 PDT 2003

Listmates--
Someone (maybe John Farrell?) expressed interest in how some of us
discovered OKOM.  Here's my story.
My ear was "educated" to big band swing music as a youngster.  Didn't
play it---but sure liked to hear it.  While in high school---attempting to
be
"hip"--I seemed to admire the psuedo-intellectual type---I found myself
attending the earliest Jazz at the Philharmonic sessions---the beginnings of
bop--although I had no idea what it was---and had no understanding of
what they were trying to do---but, of course, I was "hip".  And I do
remember some of the famous people I heard there---Howard McGhee,
Willie Smith,  Shorty Cherock (sp?), etc ,etc.  And trying for the ultimate
in "hip", I found myself at the Hollywood Bowl (I did live in Los Angeles)
at a sold out Stan Kenton concert.  When he was attempting BIG band bop.
Oh, I was trying so hard to GET it.  But the sound of trumpets competing
for ever higher screeches was not reaching me.  I observed the audience.
Intensity seemed to be the body language---but no joy was to be seen.
They were trying so hard to GET it---not seemingly with any success.
Almost like a religious experience,  some inner voice told me that music
was to be enjoyed,  that it should cause feelings of joy and happiness.
I decided that I would look for music that caused that to happen.  Upon
the advice of someone I don't remember,  I tried the "Jazzman Record Shop"
in west L.A.  I explained what my search was about.  He demonstrated
some Bunk Johnson records (78's) that had just arrived.  I bought them.
I was immediately hooked---became a mouldy figge!  Remained in that category
for a number of years.  But now can appreciate most jazz styles---mostly
pre-bop---but even some bop and cool (but NOT "free jazz") has become
friendly to my ear.
Best to stop here---getting a bit long winded.
Ken Gates  Ventura, California