[Dixielandjazz]Tico Tico No Fubà

tito martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Fri Jan 31 23:51:08 PST 2003

Bob Williams asked intrigued:
<<<<Does anyone have a lead sheet, with melody, for this tune?>>>

Yes, Bob, you could expect I have some info about Tico Tico.
It's almost our national song!

Composed 1917 as "Tico-Tico no Farelo" by Zequinha de Abreu, in Rio de
Janeiro,
first recorded by Orquestra Colbaz (Columbia 22029, 1931)
Recorded as "Tico-Tico no Fubá" by Ademilde Fonseca (Columbia 55368,
1942)

First click at

http://www.institutopaubrasil.org.br/galeria/ticotico.htm

just to see what a Tico Tico is (Zonotrichia Capensis).
Then, to listen to two excellent versions go to

http://www.musicasmaq.hpg.ig.com.br/ticotico.htm

The first "download" is flute solo accompanied by a violão (accoustic
guitar) and pandeiro (tambourine); Authentic Brazilian JAZZ!

the second "download" is a piano version where you can see the striking
similarities between brazilian chorinho and american ragtime;
(attention: chorinho is not like samba!)
-and nothing to do with tango or spurious "latin" rhythms, originated on
Caribe!

You will find also the lyrics in Portuguese, of course; but please don´t
ask me to translate, is the same as trying to translate Joyce's Ulysses
to any other language!

Just suffice it's a story about a tico tico splashing over the
fuba-flour all over the floor, then coming back with all it's family! (I
know it's an English version by an Ervin Drake)

The best I got for changes (guitar chords) it's at

http://www.jbmoura.hpg.ig.com.br/Musica/ticotico.htm

Hope you enjoy.

>From happy Brazil,

Tito "Play Me a Samba" Martino