[Dixielandjazz] Introduction

Hans Koert koerthchkz at zeelandnet.nl
Fri Jan 31 18:07:16 PST 2003

As announced this morning I will tell something about myself. I'm 51 years
young and live in the southwest part of the Netherlands. I'm a jazz fan for
35 years I guess. My interests started in Breda, where the "Oude Stijl
Jazz", call it "Traditional Jazz' was very popular during the 1970s and
1980s. I started to collect LPs, most traditional bands and some 78s. I
became a member of the "Doctor Jazz Magazine" and came into contact with
record collecting during their two-times-a-year meetings, reunions. I came
into contact with the curious paper records, called Hit of the week and
bought very cheap tens of records. Because nobody could give me
discographical information about the records I was very happy with a photo
copy of the 1960 Howard Waters list, the only source about these card board
records. Because the European card board records I owned were not in the
list I decided to make myself a list. Oh boy, it's good I didn't realized in
1994 what that meant, but I enlarged the 175 records long list of Howard
Waters to a list of more then 1250 different Durium card board records.
Thanks to some good advices from respected discographies it became a
extensive discography with all known information about these curious
records,; not only the well known Hit of the weeks, but also the European
durium (small letters), Sefono's and Super Durum's and the collection of
durium advertisement and custom records that were distributed in the US and
Europe.
My last project is the Argentinean guitar player Oscar Aleman. I heard some
of his recordings in the 1970s at a radio program and taped the songs. I was
very impressed that time and searched for records or information about
Alemán, but ..... he lived in Argentina and no information or records
reached Europe. When I had "finished" ( sorry - it never ends ...) the Hit
of the week-Durium project I started to make an Oscar Aleman Discography
with the help of internet and a good friend in Argentina, Luis Contijoch,
who seemed to be always awake on the other side  of the world behind his
computer.  You read already some enthusiastic lines from Luis Daniel Flores.
Another project is my Flexible Record Project, the curious, most beautiful
colored plastic records from the early 1930s like Goodson, Flexo and
Phonycord. Even Soundsheets, 1960s flexible records,  have my interests, but
this is no traditional jazz.
My interests in jazz and dance music is from the early 1920s up to the jazz
played today. Not only Dixieland or traditional styles, swing or ragtime
have my interest, also bebop, hard bop and modern jazz music styles. I know
that a lot of members from this list can't understand that you can enjoy
swing AND hard bop; well that's an old discussion. I'm both - a
tradiitonalist and a modernist.

Well, Rob, I hope I have introduced myself in the correct way and if you
like you may tell me (off-list) (en eventueel in het Nederlands) something
about yourself.

If you are  anxious to learn more about one of my projects, log in at my web
site.

Keep swinging

Hans Koert

NEW: DURIUM JUNIOR Discogr at phy Online
http://members.lycos.nl/keepswinging
www.people.zeelandnet.nl/koerthchkz