[Dixielandjazz] Black, Brown, Beige - Ellington - Black andT an

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 30 10:13:42 PST 2003

"Goggin, Brian (Dublin)" wrote: (about "Black & Tan" - polite snip)

> I always thought the Miley/Ellington tune just referered to Blacks and light
> skinned blacks, no?

No let me re quote Ellington correctly this time: I said "black and coloured"
below previously when it should have been "White & Coloured" The below quote is
now correct, with apologies for the misquote which led you down the garden
path.

Regarding "Black and Tan" Ellington himself said: "There are in Harlem certain
places after the style of night clubs patronized by both white and coloured
amusement seekers, and these are colloquially known as "black and tans." Quoted
from Rhythm, an English publication, 1933.

Ellington is referring to the meaning of the title of the song, "Black & Tan
Fantasy" in the quote above. Small's Paradise in Harlem in the 1920s was such a
club where both black and white patrons were allowed in the audience.

On the other hand, The Cotton Club was not a "black & tan" club. It did not
allow blacks in the audience unless they were very popular entertainers and not
with a crowd. They would then be seated in a corner somewhere. (Louis Armstrong
could get into the Cotton Club as a patron, but the average black could not)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone