[Dixielandjazz] Black, Brown, Beige - Ellington - Black and T an

Goggin, Brian (Dublin) GoggiBri at exchange.ie.ml.com
Thu Jan 30 10:35:20 PST 2003

Yes - the Black and Tans were in Ireland in the late 1910's and early
1920's, before and around the time of the civil war.
I wouldn't call them a volunteer force though. They were were scum of the
lowest order - the English put them in here as a "police force" and like the
country they worked for, they murdered and terrorrised the people here. Any
memories surviving people from that time would have of them are bad. Near
where I come from there's a monument to a guy. In October 1920 some black
and tans had him prisoner, told him they'd let him go and shot him in the
back.

I always thought the Miley/Ellington tune just referered to Blacks and light
skinned blacks, no?