[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Information

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Wed Jan 29 04:10:25 PST 2003

Steve Collins asks:
>>> I'm familiar with the venues on Bourbon such as Can-Can and Fritzel's as
well as Sweet Kathleen's
over a couple of blocks.  I assume these are still operating.
Is the Tin Roof Cafe currently open?  <<<

The Can-Can does not have live music now.  They will probably resume for
Mardi Gras, but that's only a guess.
Fritzel's has just been bought by someone who promises live music every
nite, but had no band on week nites during the recent cold snap.  Tin Roof
is permanently closed. In fact,, I think something else has opened there.
Sweet Kathleen's has been closed for some time now, but the group still
plays gigs at Fritzel's and other venues.  I have no other info on them.
      The Market Cafe (outdoors) at the statue of St Joan on Decatur St has
an excellent group from 11 AM to about 3:30 or 4 (off either Wed or Thu).
They are more straight ahead than OKOM, but very talented players.  Being an
outdoor venue, they too were closed during the recent cold wave.
      The Palm Court has OKOM every night except Mon & Tue.  Different
players.  Usually good.
      Things change here from week to week.  I can't say for sure what will
happen when you get here.  Even the newspaper listings were wrong during the
recent cold spell.

       Pat Cooke