[Dixielandjazz] Black & Blue misconceptions

briantowers briantowers at msn.com
Tue Jan 28 00:04:15 PST 2003

Nancy,
This song was first sung by a female singer in the 1929 show "Hot
Chocolates"
This is evident when one studies the gender implications in the verse, as
follows:

Verse:
Out in the street, shufflin' feet,
Couples passin' two by two,
While here am I, left high and dry,
Black, and 'cause I'm black I'm blue.
Browns and yellers, all have fellers,
Gentlemen prefer them light,
Wish I could fade, can't make the grade,
Nothing but dark days in sight:

I guess this is why Louis Armstrong had to leave out the verse, when he sang
and recorded it.  Perhaps some-one familiar with the show "Hot Chocolates"
can state the circumstances in which the song was sung and by whom it was
sung..

Cheers
Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers, Toronto, Canada