[Dixielandjazz] Black & Blue significance

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Jan 27 23:33:25 PST 2003

Here's the lyrics to Black and Blue. By Andy Razaf.
The verse tells it all. One might suggest that Armstrong dropped the verse
to use the chorus for a different message. Lacking explicit document,
that's not a safe assumption because, if you look back, Louis hardly ever
sang the verse to anything once he had the large band. Whereas it was very
much the custom for "regular" singers--most often in Waters case, as I
recall-- or at least the bands to include the verse, so one cannot draw any
conclusions by Louis' omitting it.

Black And Blue
Verse:
Out in the street,/    shufflin' feet,/
   couples passin' two by   two.///
While here am I,/   left high and dry,/
    black, and 'cause I'm black I'm   blue.///
Browns and yellers,   all have fellers,
   gentlemen prefer them    light,///
Wish I could fade,/    can't make the grade,/
   Nothing but dark days in   sight://|
Chous:
1. Cold, empty bed,/   springs hard as lead,/
    pains in my head,/   feel like old Ned./
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   ////
No joys for me,/   no company,/  even the mouse/   ran from my house,/
All my life through,/    I've been so black and   blue.///   /|||
-------------------------
I'm white/|   inside,/|   It don't help my   case///
'Cause I/|   can't hide,/|   what is on my   face,/ oh!/
-------------------------
I'm so forlorn,/   life's just a thorn,/
   my heart is torn,/   why was I born?/
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   /|||

2. 'Cause you're black,/   folks think you lack./
	they laugh at you,/   and scorn you too,/
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   ////
When you are near,/   they laugh and sneer,/
	set you aside/    and you're denied,/
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   /|||
-------------------------
How sad/|   I am,/|   each day I feel   worse,///
My mark/|    of Ham/|    seems to be a    curse!///
How will it end?/   Ain't got a friend,/   my only sin/   is in my skin./
What did I do,/   to be so black and   blue?///   /|||

--Sheik
David W. Littlefield, Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Washboard
Compiler: "Dixieland FB" (Bb, C); "30S-40S FB (Bb, C)"; "Gig Book"
http://cpcug.org/user/dwlit (Dixie playalong list, other tools)
http://americanmusiccaravan.com (Fake Books, Chord Books, Bands)
eMail: dwlit at cpcug.org