[Dixielandjazz] Chordal & Melodic Improvisation

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Fri Jan 24 11:05:18 PST 2003

>>Really?  I can see what you are driving at  but does the audience,
expecting
`whatever` by `whoever` expect to get `My solo by Pat Cooke`<<

    Forgive me for making wild assumptions, but I assume that for
recognition purposes, the ensemble has already played a 'melody' chorus
    However, I do a feature (technical showoff) number : Stumbling...at a
pretty fair clip.  I play the last 4 bars as an intro (bass solo), followed
by a straight melody chorus accompanied by drums only on closed or
semi-closed hi-hat, followed by an improvised chorus (still just bass and
drums), followed by an ensemble chorus which leaves the last 4 bars for a
straight-melody bass solo with an ensemble 'button' on the end.

>>Another tune using the same chords may be a prerequisite of an
improvisation,
but surely there has to be some reference to the original melody.<<

Other than in your post, Pat; where is this written?
  There have been countless thousands of choruses played by outstanding
musicians that have absolutely no reference to the original melody.
   Pat Cooke