[Dixielandjazz] Chordal & Melodic Improvisation

PLadd36932 at aol.com PLadd36932 at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 07:11:29 PST 2003

In a message dated 23/01/03 19:37:49 GMT Standard Time, patcooke at cox.net
writes:

 <<Creating you own entirely new melody is the ultimate improvisation.
 It's simply matter of how creative you want to be.>>

Really?  I can see what you are driving at  but does the audience, expecting
`whatever` by `whoever` expect to get `My solo by Pat Cooke`

Another tune using the same chords may be a prerequisite of an imrovisation
but surely there has to be some reference to the original melody.

I remember our leader once after turning down a request to play a particular
tune softened the blow by saying `Instead we are going to play Stardust, and
if you listen carefully you will rrealise that we are using a lot of the same
notes`

<<  because most front line guys rarely tell the back row anything.>>

Aint that the truth!

Cheers

PatL