[Dixielandjazz] Re: A rant on the unamplified rhythm section

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Fri Jan 24 10:21:33 PST 2003

Jim Beebe replies to Don:

 >>>Don, this is silly.  A lot of great bass players are going to be
surprised to learn that their tone quality and attack has been ruined from
using an amp and pickup. <<<

Jim you and Don are both right....Some kind of amplification is necessary in
a large noisy venue, but there are pickups and there are pickups.
   First if you have a cheap plywood bass as I and most others have, the
problem is compounded by the fact that you are amplifying a sound that is
not too good to begin with.  Also Don is right about pickups that attach to
a bass bridge...I can't imagine a worse place to put a pickup.....you'd be
better off just putting a mike close to the f-hole.
    I've given away or thrown away at least a half-dozen pickups.  I now use
a magnetic pickup that attaches at the end of the fingerboard.  This
eliminates the cheap bass sound and only picks up the vibration of the metal
string.  It also gets the pickup enough north of the bridge to eliminate a
lot of treble.
     If you're using non-metal strings, best just use a microphone.
     But I couldn't go back to playing without amplification.  I'd give it
up first.
     Pat Cooke