[Dixielandjazz] Re: A rant on the unamplified rhythm section

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 23:26:59 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/23/03 5:46:11 PM Central Standard Time,
mophandl at landing.com writes:

> When Jim Cullum called me to audition for the job with his band, he told me
> that amps are forbidden. That's one of the main things that attracted me to
> the job. I had always hated the unmusical tone quality that an amp and
> bridge pickup gives to a bass fiddle, besides ruining the attack.

   Don, this is silly.  A lot of great bass players are going to be surprised
to learn that their tone quality and attack has been ruined from using an amp
and pickup.

   It is one thing to have all-natural-holistic-unamplified jazz if you are
playing in a nice hall with resonant accoustics.  But the reality is that
most jazz is played in clubs with lousy accoustics.  Customers and musicians
have an annoying attitude of wanting to hear what is going on. Hence some
amplification is necessary.

  Kenny Davern made himself persona non-grata when he insisted that the
Chicago group that had been assembled for him at an Illiana Jazz club
concert, play unamplified.  This was not an intimate room but a big hall with
a large crowd. Nobody could hear the group and they were not pleased.

  Everything is subject to adjustment and this includes musical performance.

  Jim Beebe