[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 1, Issue 462

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 16:35:52 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/23/2003 4:15:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> >Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Solos vs. Banjo Styles

Dan Spink Asks For Different Use of "Stride"

While I totally agree with all the comments I've been reading about the use
of piano to drive the horns, etc., etc., I must request that some people not
use the word "stride" to simply mean "Boom Chuck" or, as others often do,
another way to say ragtime. Stride is more a variation of ragtime where the
left hand rolls off the base  note onto a 10th (or other interval) to create
a moving base feeling. Jame P. Johnson and Fats Waller records show this very
clearly.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink