[Dixielandjazz] stride vs. comp..rules???

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Thu Jan 23 14:15:43 PST 2003

Dave, you seem to have missed the point of what I said completely.  You have
expressed enough "rules" to boggle anyone's mind.  Did you find these rules
in a book somewhere, or did you just make them up?
    Your "hierarchy" is really a new one for me.  I tend to regard the
rhythm section as the guts of the whole band.  If you want to add a horn
player or two, do so after you have a good rhythm section.  You put the
drums on the bottom of your hierarchy...I would fire all the horn players
before I fire a good drummer.  I can deal with a horn player who is not too
good, but give me good players in the rhythm section!
    I find rules to be antagonistic to the spirit of jazz.  They stifle
creativity, and lead to being permanently mired in the rut of mediocrity.
    Pat Cooke