[Dixielandjazz] Traditional Jazz Drummings was tride vs. comp

John Petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 23 17:36:38 PST 2003

David said
> > Sorry bass and drums, but your role is basically straight rhythm.

to which Rob asked
> Do you find that part of the drummer's role is also to assist with dynamic
> contrast?  It seems that big band drummers act almost as substitute
> conductors in "driving" the band, setting up the different sections, and
> leading the p's and ff's

I'm going to disagree with David. A drummer playing straight rhythm without
any dynamics or colouration makes for a boring rhythm section and a boring
band.
In New Orleans jazz, the master, Baby Dodds is doing anything but playing
straight rhythm.He is varying his sound FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE BAND. He
feeds each soloist with something different. He uses all the kit, snare,
toms, rims, blocks cowbells and cymbals. His accents are where you would
least expect them.

Tony Sbarbaro with the ODJB and Ray Bauduc with Bob Crosby also knew what it
was about, as did George Wettling. Krupa as another example, on the Goodman
Orchestra and small group recordings is doing far more than just keeping
time. Check out his recordings with Condon at Town Hall on  Jazzology and
see how he drives a Dixieland band.
Yes Rob, the drummer's role is to assist with dynamics and to drive the
band.I've recently heard some fine CDs with Hal Smith, who is doing just
that in the old style  and doing it very well. He gets inside the music. Too
many drummers today think that they can play traditional jazz with just the
knowledge and technique of playing drums. The will sit for chorus after
chorus on a big ride cymbal regardless of what is happening elsewhere. It's
not that easy. It takes a thorough knowledge of the instrument and the music
to do it well. It does not require a great technique, just an ability to
swing and play within the idiom. In fact a drummer with a highly developed
technique has to know when to turn it off when playing old style jazz.
Dixieland cries out for press rolls, blocks, rims etc, yet even George
Wettling, a master of the style discarded these aids, preferring to play
ride on either hi hat or cymbals in later years. His playing lost a lot of
its colour when compared to the wonderful trio sessions with Stacy & Freeman
or the Wild Bill Commodore sides.
Gene, however used press rolls right to the end.

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ