[Dixielandjazz] Banjo Styles & Bolden

BOBOBANJOB at aol.com BOBOBANJOB at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 13:27:46 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/23/2003 10:06:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
briantowers at msn.com writes:

> ...I believe Bud Scott could have been using his six string banjo, tuned as
> guitar.
> He did this sometimes, as did Johnny St Cyr.
In a message dated 1/23/2003 10:17:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
GoggiBri at exchange.ie.ml.com writes:

No - Bud Scott used the 4-string tenor banjo - this is clearly visible in
the 1926 photos of King Oliver's Dixie Syncopators. He was a violinist
aswell.
Whatever be the truth about Bud Scott's tuning/instrument on his banjo sides
with Jimmy Noone,
I admire his tone on those recordings. To my ear, it sounds a little too low
pitched to be tenor banjo.
Could be plectrum banjo or banjo with guitar tuning?

Bob Sann