[Dixielandjazz] Country & Western to Dixieland?

Goggin, Brian (Dublin) GoggiBri at exchange.ie.ml.com
Thu Jan 23 10:44:05 PST 2003

Louis (with Lil) backed Jimmie Rodgers on Blue Yodel #8 I think - "Standin'
At the Corner" back in 1930. Jimmie also recorded with Earl MacDonald of the
Dixieland Jug Blowers.

Many of the Country guys were excellent. Country music seems to have taken a
wrong turning somewhere in recent years and a lot of it is terrible stuff.

Merle Travis was a helluva guitar player. Recorded fingerpicked versions of
many jazz standards like "Muskrat Ramble", "I'll See You in my Dreams",
"Who's Sorry Now" etc. aswell. His Westerners in the early 1950's with
cornet, violin, 2 guitars, steel guitar and bass, had a jazz-ish sound.