[Dixielandjazz] Re: Chordal & Melodic Improvisation

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 23 15:48:41 PST 2003

Dear Steve,
Regarding: >>What then is "melodic improvisation"?  As I see it, melodic
improvisation is when the soloist takes the song in question and creates a new
melody, using those chords existent in the song.<
You know him better than I do, but I would put Kenny Davern into that rare
group.
(Although it is not always evident on his records.)
It is an impression I have from what I heard him do on his several trips to
Australia.
Including one occasion with my band, when he built up his solo over 3 (or was it
4) choruses  on "It's Tight Like That".
Kind regards,
Bill.