[Dixielandjazz] tricks

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Thu Jan 23 00:19:58 PST 2003

Hi Kash!

I wasn't thinking of the one-note solo as a trick, but then I do tend to go for
entertainment over art, not that it's necessarily always a choice between the
two. But, yeah, I appear in colorful outfits, play 4 or more instruments,
sometimes in the same song, use a lot of humor (now in 2 languages -- you know
about that I guess!), and I am probably more motivated by getting good audience
response and interaction than by pure art. I do have my guys trained to cover my
changes of instruments so we look and sound like we're making music and not just
doing a variety show act.

I am one of those who, if people see you on stage playing instruments enough,
they start to think of you as a musician. I'm not a bad player, better on some
axes than on others, but I don't ever expect to reach the levels of Armstrong,
Goodman, et al, or even of most players on this list. I've been an amateur most
of my life, now trying to turn pro, that is, making part of my living
entertaining people who need to not forget how to smile and laugh. Hence our
band name -- Doctor Jazz.

I don't know where I picked up the one-note solo thing. I'm sure I've heard
someone else do it at some time or other. I've done it before. I know why it
works musically. But I was struck by the fact that it got the applause. We did
lots of other good stuff that nite.

As for humor, my band motto is: "Our music makes everybody happy. Most people
are happy when we play; the rest are happy when we stop playing." I came up with
that one in Hebrew after enduring the hostilities of a particularly cranky
vendor while playing in the downtown market one day. I tried to make peace with
him when I was done with a little humor. The poor fellow didn't even hint of
acknowledging that I tried to make a joke. He just kept ranting until I was out
of site. The rest of the vendors and customers were enjoying the show and
insisting I continue. So he just helped provide some comic relief. This was on
one of the alleyways that got bombed back in 1997, but a few months afterwards.
Now I use this line when signing off at the end of some performances. Usually
gets a good laugh.

And now for those who are happy when I stop...

Elazar
Misrad HaJazz
Doctor Jazz Band
Jerusalem, Israel