[Dixielandjazz] Banjo Styles

briantowers briantowers at msn.com
Wed Jan 22 13:04:13 PST 2003

My preference is for the banjo or guiitar  to play a basic 4 beats to the
bar, with occasional variations.
I am not keen on the constant "chug-a-luga-chug-aluger' banjo style, which I
think of as playing 8 beats to the bar, when it the band is playing a 4 beat
song.  It is different, of course, if the band is trying for a shuffle
rhythm number.

There is only so much space in the sound spectrum and so it is better, IMHO,
for the banjo or guitar to be doing a lean 4 beats to the bar in the
ensembles.  Leave some sound-space for the rest of us, especially if its a
six or seven piece group!
Hard to explain but, by way of illustration, my ideals would be Freddy Green
with the Basie band; Lawrence Marrero with the George Lewis band; Johnny St
Cyr with The Hot Five or King Oliver; Fred Guy with the vintage Ellington
bands; Will Johnson with the Luis Russell band;    A perfect example would
be Bud Scott with Jimmy Noone  - listen to 'I Know That You Know" and then
tell me it is not perfect banjo playing!   "Chung Chung Chung Chung" all the
way and sounding fine.
Time for the banjo to "get fancy" is during his solos, if he/she has a
leader who gives them!

Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers, Toronto, Canada