[Dixielandjazz] stride vs. comp

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Wed Jan 22 08:57:43 PST 2003

Well said, Charlie....
      IMHO, stride is for solo piano....when you have a bass player, leave
the bass notes for the bass to play.  I find a comping style much easier to
play bass with.
      Also, a piano and a banjo(or guitar) in the same band is not a good
idea, unless they have played together long enough to know what chords the
other will be using and when to make the changes.
      I've played with a number of groups where the piano and banjo are
playing different chords at the same time.....Maddening!
    Pat Cooke