[Dixielandjazz] Solos vs. Banjo Styles

Charlie Hull Charlie at easysounds.com
Wed Jan 22 06:51:38 PST 2003

IMHO banjo can be compared to piano in a band.  Some pianists can't let go
of striding or playing every beat even tho they can be set free by letting
the bass and drums carry the rhythm.  Ditto with banjoists -- many insist on
playing a chord for every beat, while others -- epitomized by Bill Dendle --
'comp' like a good pianist, doing off-beat sparks and tasty fillins.
Depends on the band's makeup, too.  If you have both piano and banjo, you
don't want them both comping and filling at the same time.

I agree whole-heartedly with Charlie Hooks.  A plink-plink-plink,
chord-on-every-beat banjo or piano can really box in a soloist's ability to
flow and use passing chords.  To me, it inhibits the imagination and
creative juices.

But we are each unique, thank the Diety.  Viva la difference!

Charlie Hull