[Dixielandjazz] Amps

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Wed Jan 22 06:52:31 PST 2003

>>>As for the bass amps, the rockers have so far
destroyed musical balance (among other things) that a normal bass volume now
sounds puny.  The audience's ears need retraining--or, perhaps, plugging<<<

    When equipment is mis-used, don't blame the equipment....blame the
player.   A bass player who brought his own bass sat in using my amp a few
months ago.  I got back to the stand to find my speaker rattling a terrible
noise.  I thought he had blown out my speaker!
     It seems there is a mentality among some bass players to crank the bass
control way up .  He then discovers his top string is not as strong as he'd
like it, so the imbecile cranks up the volume control!!
      Full bass at high volume will blow out a speaker faster than anything
I know......There are a lot of otherwise good bass players out there who
just have no clue about  how to use an amp.
      BTW, if I had to play bass without my amp, I'd give the whole thing
up.
      Pat Cooke