[Dixielandjazz] chords vs melody

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Tue Jan 21 15:21:01 PST 2003

>>listeners should always be able to follow the melody in your solo,
 hidden a little, but not too far away!<<<

The ability to "follow the melody" resides largely in the ear of a
particular listener.  If your audience is mainly people who are not true
aficionados, then don't stray too far from the melody.  If the audience is
mainly musicians, pull out all the stops!
  Pat Cooke