[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 1, Issue 447

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Tue Jan 21 06:53:10 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/21/2003 4:50:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> My comment:  if it clashes with what the soloist is doing, particularly
> when the soloist was following the melody line, then it's WRONG.  Not
> modern, just wrong!
>
> Jim

Dan Spink replies:

Jim, I not only hotly agree with you, I think the problem goes deeper
musically. There is a strange harmonic brain disease among some "modern jazz"
pianists and guitarists that causes them to favor only far out dissonant
clashing chords. Why use only a seventh when there is a sharped eleventh just
sitting there? The deeper problem is the problem of atonal (or 12 tone)
music; wherein you must hit all 12 tones at least once before repeating any
one. The intellectual goal is to remove the tonal center (key) orientation.
The first one  you hear is interesting. Every one after the first sounds very
much like the first, and that's the problem. When you keep going to far out
harmonic overtones and avoiding the ol' circle of fifths patterns, you loose
musical differentiation. It all sounds like vanilla wallpaper (if there is
such a thing) and that's even worse than elevator music.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink