[Dixielandjazz] More about attachments

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Tue Jan 21 18:13:07 PST 2003

Bob Romans asked:-

> A question for you computer gurus out there.
>  Why did the post from Jim Beebe come with an "Attachment" showing?
>  When I opened the "Attachment", all there was showing gobble-de-gook!
Hm-m-m-m?
>  I know Jim didn't send an "Attachment".

A slightly educated guess....

The message that Jim sent was in "Rich Text" format rather than plain
text.
Looking at the raw contents of the message it actually had two sections
labelled as the body (i.e. not all the headers about where it came from
and who sent it). One was the text from Jim and the other was the
bit that gets tacked on that tells you about DJML.

So I wonder if the recent software upgrade did something to spot messages
that are not in pure plain text and add the footer in a different way.
Then
some mail readers treat this as an attachment and so show the little
attachment symbol.

Andy Ling