[Dixielandjazz] Melody v. Chords plus Words

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 20 23:14:52 PST 2003

Charlie Hull wrote: (polite snip)

> Regarding Kash's bait, there are chord variations which sound good and don't
> conflict with the melody, and that's OK.  Sometimes the piano, bass, guitar
> or banjo, and the horn(s) aren't playing the same chords, and that's not OK.

Hi Charlie:

I hear you. What is really a problem is when the rhythm section is playing
different chords amongst themselves. Like when you have a guitar and piano
playing different chords, or a banjo and piano playing different chords. What's
a poor horn man to do? Play free jazz? ;-)

BTW, don't you just love it when you have 2 chord instruments in a band and
they argue about which chord is right? (each playing their own) I'll never
forget working with Ernie Carson one night when there was a difference of
opinion about a chord between the banjo and the piano. (both excellent, well
known players on the US national scene) Ernie agreed with the piano player and
asked the banjo what chord he thought the piano was playing. Banjoist said it
sounded approximately like a Ab7.

Said Ernie, "No, G**damnit, it was 'exactly' a Ab7 and that's the correct
chord".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone