[Dixielandjazz] Melody v. Chords plus Words

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 20 16:52:11 PST 2003

Kash wrote (polite snip) After discussing melody v. chords

"I also believe that to play a tune, particularly a ballad, it is
important to know & understand the words."

Agree 100% that one should know the words in order to fully communicate
the meaning of your ensemble or solo improvisation. Perhaps
interpretation should be based upon the words?

Example "After You've Gone". Many take it at Benny Goodman's up tempo
which makes for a good song, but when you take it at it's original
tempo, it is a fantastic song. What is the original tempo? (if you don't
have the music chart) Well, just consider the words, this is a sort of
sad "get even" song so it must be moderate. It was never meant to be an
up tempo happy tune.

BTW. I work regularly in 2 bands. One takes it up, the other much more
slowly.

As to chords, or melody who knows? I hear some jazz musos improvising
over the chord changes and I hear others improvising over the melodic
line. Either works for me, but the language of jazz gets much more
complex with those players who understand and use all of the harmonic
possibilities within the chord changes and their extensions. To
understand their conversation is much more difficult for most of us.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone