[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 1, Issue 443

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sun Jan 19 11:53:01 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/19/2003 10:37:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:15:46 -0000
> From: "Tony Davis" <tony at tony-davis.co.uk>
> To: "DJML" <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
> Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] attachment signs
> Message: 1
>
> I agree with John Ding that the attachment flags are indicators that the
> message contains HTML, and with Jim Kashishian that this is due to some
> action
> that the islandnet administrators have taken recently.  It makes sense for
> HTML mails to be flagged in this way, because HTML can conceal a malicious
> script designed to infect the recipient's machine with a virus or worm just
> as
> an attachment can.
>
> As Jim says, many posts at present are in HTML.  For the official line on
> this, refer to http://www.islandnet.com/djml/faq.html , question 23.  From
> past correspondence it appears that many people don't realize they're
> posting
> in HTML and/or don't know how to stop it happening.
>
> If you're using Outlook Express, click on 'Tools' then 'Options' then the
> 'Send' tab and make sure the 'Plain Text' option is selected under 'Mail
> Sending Format', then click 'OK'.  If you're using AOL (as many of the
> offenders are), the following link, which I found when trying to help Dan
> Spink, may be useful: http://www.xke-lovers.com/aolptext.htm .

Dan Spink Replies:

Thanks for your help, Tony. As an added thought or two, I found that AOL 8.0
does not work that way. The only way I could come close to looking like Plain
Text was to go to AOL Preferences, Text, then make Arial 10 pt. NOT bold, my
default font. For what it's worth, I have at least three still unanswered
questions about submitting to the list as follows:
Q1. I get two versions: one in plain B&W, the other in a teel green
background color.
Why two different ones?
Q2. Whenever I've tried to submit a message to the DJML directly, it comes
back unreadable, or not usable in some way. Often, this is when I get the
message I am not using plain text, (even though I am using Arial 10 pt, non
bold font), but there are other problems indicated as well. The only way I
can jump in, I've found, is to copy a portion of an existing message,
including the subject and heading information, then hit "reply" and add my
thoughts. That's how I did this. Why can't I submit directly?
Q3. My listing of subjects always shows numbered list of subjects up front,
with the sender, much like a table of contents. That's great. But when I
scroll through I get multiple repetitions in different type faces, sometimes
with multiple "=" signs at every sentence, sometimes with type in reverse. So
am I doing something wrong?

None of the above should indicate an unhappy list member. I look forward to
reading (and sometimes joining in) every day. It's a new life experience to
share the world of performing Dixie and traditional jazz professionals and I
love it. Keep it coming any way you can!

Dan (piano fingers) Spink