[Dixielandjazz] Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Jim Denham james at jiming.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 18 02:17:59 PST 2003

In message <BA4E1A60.7A4%snogpitch at prodigy.net>, Snogpitch
<snogpitch at prodigy.net> writes
>I saw them last summer in Cincinnati at the ConAgra Rib Fest I think it was
>called.  Many bands played at that festival of varying styles.  Dirty Dozen
>Brass Band was the final band of the festival.  After some thinking it over,
>I decided to go check them out, and eat a few ribs while I was there.  The
>crowd there was in my opinion rather laid back for the majority of the
>concert, with the exception of a few dancers alongside the stage.  They
>ended their finale with Saints and that brought out the parasols, and high
>steppers, you name it, and people were on their feet.
>
>Would I go see them again?  Probably not, but I didn't exactly hate the
>band, either.  I would classify their stylings as bebop, but there might be
>a more detailed description than that.  I'm more of a traditional style
>jazz, myself.
>
>BTW, the ribs were good, too!
>>
>> Anybody got an input or suggestions as to how they play, or what songs
>> we might play opposite them? Or as to whether they will play N.O.
>> Marching or Funeral songs etc. We have no input as yet from the Festival
>> on song choices and think we should probably stick with stuff from the
>> Condon book and keep far away from our New Orleans repertoire. Thus
>> presenting a varied musical program for the attendees.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve Barbone

The Dirty Dozen probably represent the future of "New Orleans"-style jazz,
combining  traditional marching-band exuberance with bebop solos. They play
everything from Morton to Monk, with a funky, marching-band beat. I like them
very much, though I've only ever heard them on record (and I have to say that
their more recent records have not been as good as their first - amazing -
Concorde album, in my humble opinion).

My advice to Steve would be, simply: don't worry and do your own thing! They
represent one possible way forward for our music; you represent another. Both
are valid.

Yours,
  -
Jim Denham