[Dixielandjazz] Dirty Dozen Brass Band

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 17:30:44 PST 2003

I would have to disagree with you, David. The "Modern
Jazz" cats would most likely turn their nose up at the
Dirty Dozen.

I believe that their music (the Dozen & other brass
bands) is an evolution of OKOM. All these kids grew up
listening to Armstrong, Jelly Roll, Kid Ory, Buddy
Bolden and other N.O. greats. They just play the old
standards in a style that is exciting to their (my)
Generation.

If you really want to hear how the brass bands play,
go to New Orleans and spend a few nights at Donna's
Bar & Grill, http://www.donnasbarandgrill.com/
The best place in N.O. to hear the brass bands.

--- "David W. Littlefield" <dwlit at cpcug.org> wrote:
> Their music surely would be classified with Modern
> Jazz (etc.) as opposed
> to OKOM.
>
> Their Jelly Roll Morton CD didn't have enough Jelly
> to put in a roll--so I
> traded it off...

=====
David Livingston
Dixieland Gumbo -- Internet Radio Station
Today's hot bands playing OKOM!
http://www.live365.com/stations/63607

If you are interested in getting airplay for your traditional
Jazz band recordings, contact me at snargi01 at yahoo.com